Happy 4th to everyone!
I know it’s not Friday, but I just needed to share this recipe in time for the holiday tomorrow.
We hosted a dinner over the weekend and I wanted to create the desserts myself. Apple pie and brownies were already on the menu, but I wanted to add something I hadn’t made before.
#Summer always makes me think of cherries. I used Pinterest to locate a simple recipe using cherries in something other than a pie. If you want to peruse my Pinterest boards, you can check them out here. We all know that pie is ALWAYS a great idea, but since I was already making apple, cherry pie bars were the winner.
I pinned two recipes for these awhile back from lilluna and MomSpark and forgot about them. I decided to combine the two. They were really easy to make and a big hit at our dinner.
Cherry Pie Bars
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 – 3 (21 oz) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 TBSP milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your large jelly roll pan or cookie sheets with tall sides. Personally, I prefer to use parchment paper in lieu of greasing the pan.
- Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. Add flour and baking powder, stir just until blended.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter into the cookie sheet.
- Spread the pie filling over the batter.
- Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over the pie filling.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Mix together the glaze ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle glaze over fully cooled bars and allow glaze to set.
- Cut into bars and serve!
Enjoy the holiday!
1 thought on “Dessert: Cherry Pie Bars”
Kim, Thanks for sharing. When I saw your prior post I was going to ask you for the recipe. Did you use cake flour or plain old all purpose flour? What size pan did you use? A cookie sheet with sides? Auntie j
Sent from my iPhone